Saturday 8 September 2012

Apartment Cooking: Chips & Guacamole

The kitchen in my apartment is very basic: no oven, no food processor, only a mini fridge.  As a result, I'm always looking for easy recipes that don't require too much equipment.  Lately I've been craving chips and guacamole, but I can't find basic wheat tortilla chips anywhere in Australia.  To improvise, I made my own chips.  The result?  A cheap (<$2.50 per serving) and delicious treat.


{QUEEN VIC'S MARKET SELLS MINI AVOCADOS, WHICH IS PERFECT FOR SINGLE SERVINGS}




Tortilla Chips
Ingredients:
-1whole wheat tortilla
-1/2 C. canola oil
-sea salt

Directions:
1. cut tortilla into even triangles
2. heat canola oil in a shallow frying pan
2. once oil is hot, add a tortilla triangle
4. once edges are brown, flip over for a few seconds
5. remove with a slotted spoon and place on plate with a paper towel
6. continue process with remaining triangles
7. sprinkle with sea salt

Guacamole
Ingredients
-1 mini avocado
-1/2 small tomato
-squirt of lemon juice
-sea salt and pepper to taste
-other spices (I used oregano and cayenne pepper)

Directions:
1. mash avocado and dice tomato
2. combine all ingredients in a small bowl
3. mix and enjoy

serves 1

No comments:

Post a Comment